Wednesday, March 25, 2015

StencilGirl Teams Up With Ken Oliver Crafts


Hi Stencil Lovers! 
Welcome to the third day of the StencilGirl and Ken Oliver Crafts Hop.
When I received these little beauties in the mail
I immediately went to work. 
I was very pleased with how vibrant these powdered pigments are!
Color Bursts are really Intense!


Because of their intense colors, I thought of Marbling Paper.
But because they are water soluble I knew I needed something besides water.
I dug deep into my memory cells and knew I needed oil....
glycerin came to mind.

Hmmmmm....didn't have any glycerin on hand.
How about some other oil....

I pulled out a styrofoam plate and gave it a layer of
oil...I tried both jojoba and vitamin E oil
and they worked equally well.

I sprinkled the Color Burst Pigment onto the oil and
let it soak in. I took a plastic fork and made a pattern
 in some of the test runs.

I used  photo paper because it had a nice satin finish and it was a good size to experiment with.




I tried a few different things, like spraying water or making a "color syrup"...
But I figured out I wasn't going to get true marbling effects this way....
Still... Oh My.... These turned out Luscious!






I was loving the outcome so I kept on going!








 Okay....I have the Color Burst part of the project done...now what?
It is Springtime here in Ohio and I wanted to do something
light and happy with the promise of warmth and sunshine!

  
 I have this green sketchbook cover that I used the Words to Live By Stencil 
designed by Carolyn Dube.
I put the Be Bold Be You part across the top.
The Fly Soar Leap part shows across the bottom of the book.


I thought the orange would look best against the green.


I envisioned doodling on and around the circles.


Then I came across this butterfly a Brave Girl Friend gave me
and knew that would be perfect as a center point.
Very spring like!


The doodles are done with all kinds of pens and markers, 
as well as the Color Burst's as watercolor paints.
The original Color Bursts did not bleed off the photo paper.
I don't know if that was because I used oil with them or because
it was ON the satin photo paper or a combination of both.



I have some white fabric book tape that I wrapped around the black spine, 
then sprinkled the Color Burst Powder on to it.
The pigment powder soaked in and blended nicely.


There you have it.....
I love my springtime sketchbook!

Did you know that both StencilGirl and Ken Oliver Crafts have giveaway
prizes when this week long Blog Hop event is over?

Leave a comment here to be entered to win a
 $50 gift certificate from StencilGirl. 
Then head on over to the other blogs to find out about their prizes!

Here is today's line up for some colorful projects! 
>>>>Janet Joehlin <<<<


I will be back in the Hop Line Up on Friday with another Color Burst project!
See you then!




61 comments:

  1. I love how you did this journal. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, beautiful colors, beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the possibilities! Love how you used these pieces as a base for something new!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how your journal turned out, very cool! Love how you created the circles and just continued to add more dimension to them. Neat idea!
    ~Ginny K~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work! I love the oil technique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for a journal cover! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Love the colors and design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous! love the mandalas you doodled!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the idea. Love the colors! --Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. wowzers! the colors are amazing Janet! love the papers just before you punched the circles and after you doodled on the mandalas--wow again! thanks so much for sharing all this info and color :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool project. That cover just begs to be held and petted :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous! What a great idea to try the marbling, and your cover design is beautiful... love this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really interesting how you played with the color bursts. Love the journal results.
    Susann T

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicely nicely done....love the idea of punching out the circles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE these vibrant color bursts. And, your journal cover turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the album is so pretty. Love all of the test patterns from the Color Burst.
    I'm looking forward to getting the powders and playing with them.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant and creative! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never would have thought to use oil. Great idea and beautiful project! JBarnes

    ReplyDelete
  19. All this creativity is just mind-boggling! Loving it!
    Klc5 (at) cox (dot net)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's gorgeous! I love how you embellished the circles.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting about the oil. I have glycerin, so I shall try that!

    alhrobkin (at) aol (dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting about the oil. I have glycerin, so I shall try that!

    alhrobkin (at) aol (dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very creative combination of techniques and beautiful results! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those color bursts look like they're wonderful and lots of fun. I love what you did with your experiment using circles, doodles, and ending up with it on the journal cover. Thanks for sharing all this wonderful art......Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love the color burst! Any liquid medium you choose would have come out beautiful, water, oil or wine

    ReplyDelete
  26. love what you made from the color burst samples, very cool

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very pretty. I love how you decorated the circles. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very nice project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the use of the oil! Good thinking! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are brave. LovelY project...bea

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your project looks like it was so much fun to make. I cannot wait to try Ken's color bursts. They have so much color and looks like so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful job. I've just received my color bursts and need to play

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for sharing makes me just want to play and experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Linda jowerslh@gmail.comMarch 25, 2015 at 9:01 PM

    Love how you kept adding to the base circles & enhanced them on the sketchbook. Really ready for spring. Thanks for the tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the technics you used.

    Thank you for the wonderful idea.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  36. what a great idea - makes me think mandalas!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Okay...that is thinking! Cool technique and FABULOUS doodling and love the stencil in the background to add some extra texture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a fun and creative project. I love how each piece looks when you design on it with the color blasts. very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow! That Colorburst looks like an amazing product! Love the resulting project.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is my weekend to play with my brand new color burst. Love your ideas for use!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love every single step of this project and am definitely going to try it out. Your journal is amazing--your doodling, the layout, the butterfly, the colors. This is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a way to use the color burst! I love the technique and where you took the papers with your fantastic penwork!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a happy accident that it didn't make as expected. They look very organic and beautiful. Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love love love what you did...it is absolutely fantastic. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Fantastic! I love your journal cover and how your amazing pen work added so much interest and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your sketchbook looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Nice work. I think I will try this on Yupo paper instead of photo paper as it will have just a tad less sheen.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great experimenting. I never would have thought to use oil! The results are fantabulous too! Thanks for sharing :)
    textilerecycler (at) yahoo (dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  49. OK, so Color Burst is amazing - love your technique! Thanks for sharing!!
    shoney58 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi , I love the way you used the color burst then cutting them out into different shapes. Thanks for being part of the blog hop and giveaway.crafter6013(at)twc(dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow - the process was mind boggling!! Lindart (at) bellnet (dot ca)

    ReplyDelete
  52. your project is awesome. Got to have some bursts of color.

    ReplyDelete
  53. beautiful work-love this product the more i see how versatile it is.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love the way this turned out. Thanks for sharing your experiments with the oil and color bursts on photo paper. What fun and great results! Your cover turned out great with all the detail in the circles.. Janicebond**at**gmail**dot**com

    ReplyDelete
  55. So pretty, love all the colors.

    ReplyDelete